Sunday, January 22, 2012

I Have Been Lost...

The term "you have been lost" is commonly said by Ugandans when they have not seen someone in a while so there fore I have been lost the last couple of months...

I have finally returned home after 2 months of being away from site and boy was I ready to be in my own house cook my own food etc until I actually arrived home. I came back to spider webs hitting me every step I took white ant wings all over everything my house smelling and lizard poop everywhere. I now basically have to start from square one to clean and reorganize everything (ok organizing was never really done which is why I now need to do it}.

Where have I been the last 2 months you may be wondering…

The last 2 months have been interesting to say the least my organization sent me to live at the orphanage they are linked with so that I wouldn’t have to be away from the children while they are on holiday. Only problem was there were no children there well there was one and then about 4 or 5 mentally disabled older people one of which tried to kiss me my first 3O minutes of arriving.  

I got to the orphanage to find that they had planned for me to stay with the nurse and there was a bed for the children who were sick. I hightailed my way over to the peace corps office to let them know the situation and was relieved when they stated that could not happen and I would have to be placed in another room or go back down to my site.  I planned to go back to the orphanage the next day but then low and behold I became sick for the first time in Uganda so I was forced to stay in the capital Kampala and visit medical for a few days. Yes forced it was torture eating good food and being around other volunteers.

Being at the orphanage was the first time i was somewhat home sick and began saying why am i here i would nap during the day several times watch movies and tv shows and read books. There was no village near by only the capital which i am not allowed to go to without permission and i dont think being bored was going to get me permission.

After Christmas I was back at medical again...this time for a staff infection which happened to be in the worse spot possible...on my butt. The pain was terrible i could hardly sit or walk at times because of it...but it did get me away from the orphanage and I will not be going back for any extended period of time thanks to medical who was a life saver and talked to those higher up at peace corps about the living situation sharing a latrine and everything which ended up giving me the staff infection. 

I also went away for Christmas and attended the Uganda Little League Baseball Camp (more to come on those in a later post}.

No comments:

Post a Comment