Friday, May 18, 2012

Cooking with Erin


I recently brought an egg in a basket sandwich I had made with me over to the school since I was running late (you know late to sit there and read my book)and had everyone looking at it trying to figure out what it was. I decided to give half away for others to try, since then I have been asked about this sandwich nonstop and asked to make more for others to try. Tonight, my counterpart called me and asked me to come over to the school, all I could think is what does this lady want I just wanna go to bed. When I got over there she informed me she had sent for bread and had eggs and I needed to teach her and others at the school how to make this sandwich because she had been thinking about it nonstop since I brought it over.

So there I was, in the dark, teaching ugandan women how to cook an egg sandwich. Each one needed directions with their sandwich and others came to watch what was going out. There amazement and excitement made it seem like I was turning water into wine or something. They had never seen or had a sandwich before one girl was even calling her friends in Kampala, the capital, to see if they have ever had a sandwich before. I tried explaining to them that it was a sandwich because it was between 2 pieces of bread and you can make all sorts of different types of sandwiches but they were not having it. A loaf of bread later and everyone had made their own sandwich and were all eagerly awaiting tomorrow morning so they can go together to a nearby town and buy frying pans so they can impress their friends with their new found cooking skills.

Who would have thought that my lack of cooking skills could bring such enjoyment to ones life. Maybe ill start my own show here and become the next Betty Crooker or Rachael Ray. Next up on Cooking with Erin: pouring a bowl of cereal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment