Saturday, September 15, 2012

Welcome Back to Uganda


After a wonderful trip home I was quickly welcomed back to Uganda with the sweet smells of burning trash and body odor.

On the plane yelling and demanding to be served Bond 7 (a nasty Ugandan whiskey that they obviously would never serve anywhere other than Uganda) and my flight not coming in until 5am when it was supposed to arrive at 3am. Then my ride who was supposed to arrive at 7:30am did not arrive until just after 9am and had to be the slowest driver in Uganda.

One good thing about coming back was that I had to go directly to the All Volunteer Conference, so I was able to ease back in and see many pale faces while doing so. I had spent the past few months planning this conference with some other volunteers and it turned into a great time to see everyone and catch up. We had a trivia night one night, and I am not the best at trivia since I obviously hate knowledge, but I was obviously able to help with at least one question and we may have been the only team to answer 2 jersey shore cast members real full names correctly.

Upon returning to site and reality I had a taxi driver that started going “you give me sex sex” this was my first experience with this since coming to Uganda and I couldn’t help but laugh at him and tell him he had bad manners. Ugandans do not like to be told they have bad manners and he quickly stopped and said “oh you don’t do that?” Oh Uganda.

I was however very excited to see all the kids at school they were very excited that I was back and to ask me about my trip. I relieved many comments about how I have been lost and returned fat, which was odd because all the pale faces at all vol kept telling me I looked as if I had lost weight in America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment