Saturday, October 15, 2011

The First 10 Weeks (Part 1)

So i have been here for 10 weeks now have have finally decided to start my blog...i decided that i will catch everyone up on some things that have happened in the past 10 weeks...(*disclaimer- my blog is not nearly as funny as Khayla or Aditi's so if you have read their please stop reading this one now...)


Peace Corps Uganda Group
Our group consists of 46 individuals (should have been 47 but one person dropped out less than a week before leaving) from all different backgrounds. There are15 people over the age of 50 (Bryan you will be in that age group soon too dont worry) and 11 married people (yes 11, Karla was smart and left her husband at home as I like to tell her).  2 of the married couples are young married couples, one of which actually met while previously serving in the Peace Corps. The rest of the group is in the 22-49 age group most of whom are in their 20's.We have people ranging from having their PhD to coming straight out of college. We have been told we are one of the most experienced groups to come into the Peace Corps and many say a majority of people are over qualified.  We also have the oldest group to serve in the Peace Corps (maybe we should apply for a world record with that, iv always wanted to be in the record books). 

Philly and on to Uganda
We all met in Philly and began our peace corps adventure full of paperwork to be filled out and boring ice breakers to get to know one another. We were randomly assigned a roommate for the couple of days we were in Philly, mine was Griffin who happened to be the first person I found online that was going to Uganda as well. After the training sessions had ended we all searched the city for where we would have our last American meal for a long time (since I am writing this late I can say I wish I would have eaten more that night). A large group of us decided to go to an Italian restaurant (it had nothing on Bravo or Olive Garden but I would eat it again right now if I could). A small group of us went out to the bars for one last night of drinking and enjoying ourselves in America. My last drink in America was a captain and coke and my last shot was a Washington apple (I wish they would have known how to make a bomb pop I would have been much happier). The next morning the 46 of us heading to JFK airport to travel 17 hours on a plane to Uganda we arrived almost 6 hours before our flight since there were 46 of us that had to go thru security and check luggage (I can tell you we did not stick to the packing list at all and all brought way more than what was recommended to bring although there were a couple of people who made it with only one bag…and of course those were guys). We finally left JFK after having our official last meal (mine was Mcdonalds and I never enjoyed it more knowing I wouldn’t have it again for a long time, I kind of wish I would have packed a couple of burgers with me for the road cuz I sure do miss them). We headed from JFK to Brussels, where we were all very upset that our se3ats did not have individual tv’s to watch. I slept the entire way to Brussels thanks to Dorothy giving me a Tylenol PM. From Brussls we were headed to Uganda with a quick stop in Rwanda to pick up and drop off some people. The food on the plane was Brussels to Uganda was much different to say the least, we have a couple volunteers with us who have to eat glutton free well we have heard that someone called to check that Peace Corps had ordered the glutton free meals which turned into us needing 46 glutton free meals (I was not a happy camper and actually yelled at the attendant that the meal was not mine and I needed a regular meal, since I had just woken up and did not know what had happened). I never got my regular meal and gave my glutton free meal to john who was sitting next to me. I think the attendant "mr goodlooking" as he called himself felt bad for us so he offered us some icecream bars. He came down to the last 4 and there were still some people who wanted them so he asked us to pick a number 1-4..i proceeded to yell 5...thanks again Dorothy for the drugs (it was the Tylenol i swear not my stupidity :) )  I also slept the entire way on this plane ride thanks to the Tylenol PM making my total time being awake the entire trip 2.5 hours (erin-1 awful long plane ride- 0) 

No comments:

Post a Comment