Thursday, October 20, 2011

Attempting to Cook...

The staple foods here are awful matooke which is an unrippened banana that is steamed for hours on end until it becomes the texture of glue,  posho which is boiled water and flour mixed until it becomes a solid and tastes like a rose art crayon (yes it does not even make crayola status), rice (you all know what that is) and beans.  That is what every Ugandian eats for every meal, sometimes they throw in a potato. I wont even begin to discuss the food we had at training for lunch everyday...beef slop (i might actually be missing that beef slop as of today) I have been craving American food since I stepped off the plane (which my mom can vouch for giving the middle of the night texts saying send me combos, the long list of foods requesting to be sent in an email, and even looking up little debbies website to find out where she can get pumpkin delights from since she was unable to find them at Target). I had been counting down the days when I could cook for myself…more like attempt to cook for myself as I found out today. This week I have made grilled cheese sandwiches using laughing cow cheese, even had one for breakfast today, French toast, mac and cheese and rice crispy treats. I thought I was becoming the next betty crocker until today when I attempted to make french toast again.  I was so excited that I finally learned how to make it, only after texting my mom as to what exactly is put into the stuff you dip the bread into. Todays attempt was a miserable fail and I don’t think I will be attempting it again for a very long time. The french toast was so bad I had to throw it away, I most likely could have put it on the ground and the bugs would turn it down. I blamed it on the different type of bread I used from the last time until I tried to make scrambled eggs out of the left over eggs, which I failed miserably at and they ended up being a juicy disgusting mess. Today, I have realized just how much I suck at cooking (who cant cook scrambled eggs??) I also realized how much I miss being able to go to pick someone up quick to eat (mmmm panera) or call my mom in the middle of the day telling her what shes making for dinner or even just pour myself a bowl of cereal. From now on I am sticking to things I just have to add water to, are already cooked or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich…Feel free to send me anything that you just add milk or water to…mac and cheese (just the cheese I can get noodles), soup packets, tuna salad packets, big macs, snack foods, etc (please see detailed list under address page J) or better yet please feel free to come be my live in cook I am willing to pay 20,000 shillings a week!!!

1 comment: