Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Things That Annoy Me

Now don’t get me wrong I love being in Uganda and couldn’t have asked for a better country to serve my time with the peace corps…These things also annoy me in the states but happen much more frequently here and this country is starting to turn me into a bitch. Never in my life have a yelled or called out more people than I have the past few months. I created this list while waiting in line at the bank for over 2 hours…so it may be a little exaggerated (most likely not}with my annoyance at the time for having to wait in line for so long.  

  •           Waiting in lines…I am used to waiting in lines and have no problem doing so if they were actually necessary. The bank has only one teller window so that is all that will ever be there  were only 3 people in front of me when I began. 2 hours is way to long for only 8 people being helped.  Yes 8 people not 4 like who were in front of me when I got into line… which brings me to my next annoyance…

  •        People cutting in line…not only does/did this happen in the bank but it happens everywhere. Waiting in line at the grocery store people will just walk up and place their items in front of yours (which I have finally begun handing them their items back and showing them where the end of the line is}            Transport…the car isent full until there are at least 15 individuals in it (yes a car meaning a small Toyota corolla}. When I am lucky enough to find a bus passing thru town it always has the same disgusting conductor who collects money who tells me each and everytime if I stick around he will show me his banana later…ill stick to the 15 passenger corollas.

  •       Boda Drivers…Bodas or motorcycle taxis (which we are not allowed to ride} will scream and holler tugenda (we go} or mzungu where are you going in which I reply either ogenda (you go} or not with you when asked those questions.

  •            Public nose picking…I do not go an hour without seeing someone with their finger up their nose…and it will not be a quick trying to hide it pick it will be a few min long really digging kind of pick.

  •              Breastfeeding…I know this is a normal thing but I don’t need to be sitting eating a meal or in the middle of a conversation with you and you decide to whip out your boob to feed your child (not just baby kids are breast fed until around the age of 2 here}. I feel as though the feeding can happen before or after the meal or conversation or at least put a blanket over yourself. Women here will breast feed anywhere and everywhere. While sitting next to a lady in a car one day (basically on top of her not next to her since there are about 15 people in the car} her child decided he was hungry pulled down her shirt and took her boob out and proceeded to have himself a mid afternoon snack…this is when you know its time to stop the breastfeeding.

  •        Ugandan Time…people here are late for everything (reminds me of living with JT} and they do not leave the house if it is raining even sprinkling. I was at a celebration that was being held at the school they ahd to tell the guardians that it started 2 hours before it actually did in the hopes of people showing up on time. 8 came around no one was there 1O one person was there 113O 6 people were there 1pm (when lunch was to be served} everyone magically showed up.


I could go on all day with this list but will stop here…and I am sure it will be added to in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment